About Me

My photo
I've been a nature and wildlife photographer for years but stepped into the world of of portrait and wedding photography five years ago. I soon discovered that a lot of the skills gained and "lessons learned" through nature photography are very important to capturing great images of people too. You may want to book me now for your wedding, senior, family or portrait session. Soon I'll be in demand.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Blue Crazed Killer

Winter has hit Montana's Bitterroot Valley (finally!) And of course it hit "wicked hahd" as we New Englanders like to say. I left the house Saturday morning to very seasonal temperatures in the 20's. By the time I drove into Missoula it was 17 and dropping fast. I met up with Santa to pick up xmas presents for Joyce and it was 12 degrees. Then I went to the studio to mess around with my new lights (more on that later). When I came out of the studio it was 7 degrees in my car and the wind was howling. Downtown Missoula was like a Ghost Town and there was snow blowing all around. By the time I got home it was a balmy 1 degree and the weather station said we had a -20 degree windchill. Ouch! I like the winter but really!

Okay, enough on the weather. I've moved into the studio that I mentioned on my last posting and am having a lot of fun getting used to the space and getting to know all the new equipment. I did have a photo shoot last weekend (thanks Jen, Blake and Evan) that went really well. My new studio lights thadn't yet arrived so Maureen (http://www.maureenroyphotography.com/) was nice enough to let me use hers. I've since gotten my lights and had a couple of days last week to play with them. Studio photography is a lot of fun but really different from nature and wildlife. In the studio the photographer controls EVERYTHING! In some ways that's good but the possibilities are almost limitless and you can choose to be very traditional or go totally crazy.

I'll be in the studio today for more practice time and maybe some painting.

If I don't post before Christmas, I wish everyone the best the season has to bring. Remember a 2009 Calendar from your favorite photographer makes a great last minute gift! There's my shameless self-promotion and commercialization of Christmas for ya'!

Below are some studio shots I've done this week. Sorry for the model but I did the best with what I had. I like the blue crazed killer look personally.








1 comment:

Maureen Roy said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the blue crazed killer look! That's fantastic! The only thing better than that would be a blue crazed killer with a paintbrush!!!